Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Pastor's Life - Love

Loving People of Other Faiths
by Charles Wiley, Ph.D.

I enjoyed reading “God is big enough to hold all of our curiosity, doubts, joys, and fears” by Rev. Adriene Thorne (Pastor’s Life, June 2026). I, too, have deeply appreciated dialogue and friendship with people of other faiths, particularly with Muslims and Jews. And my day-to-day life is filled with encounters with Buddhists from Myanmar, who oversee businesses in my city, Muslims who have become friends because of our participation in formal dialogues, and several rabbis whom I count as close friends. I am grateful for these relationships. When I think of how I approach other faiths, I realize I almost always do so in the midst of relationships.

Many years ago, I made a comment in a seminar that another student found troubling. She blurted out, “But you’re speaking from a Christian perspective.” To which I replied, “It is the only one I’ve got.” One of the joys of interfaith encounters is that we bring our whole selves into the conversation, and we are pleased when our conversation partners bring their whole selves as well. My commitment to Jesus Christ is at the center of my whole self. I have sometimes found that in formal dialogues some Christians are often consumed with finding common ground before the dialogue begins. I tend to practice a simpler approach: the only requirement for dialogue is a willingness to talk. Common ground, if it emerges, will rise up within the conversation.

Charles Wiley, Ph.D. serves as Vice-President of Philanthropy at Day1, having previously served at Columbia Theological Seminary as Director of Leadership Support where he also taught theology and history. In addition to serving in various pastoral roles, for 21 years he served with distinction at the Presbyterian Church USA Office of Theology and Worship. Charles earned his Ph.D. at Princeton Seminary, his M.Div. from Duke Divinity School, and his B.A. from Davidson College.

Featured Resources

Church Financial Leadership Grant Program

Grants are available to assist pastors to attend continuing education opportunities which will help them in leading their congregations toward financial and missional vitality. These grants can be used to help with half the cost to attend Stewardship Kaleidoscope or the ECRF program.

Continuing Education Institute in Partnership with NEXT Church

Zephyr Point and NEXT Church are partnering to hosting a continuing education institute in October. This education experience helps ministry leaders assess congregational needs, evaluate resources, and develop practical strategies.

Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
Join our group on LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mission Yearbook: Book encourages a walk of faith

The writing team of the Rev. Dr. Cynthia Campbell and the Rev. Christine Coy Fohr , which previously gave us “ Meeting Jesus at the Table: ...