A Pastor to the Persecuted | ||||
| In northeastern Nigeria, where Pastor Ishaku Manawa serves, death is never far away. “There are many people I know that Boko Haram has killed or kidnapped,” he said. “I cannot count the number of people I know that Boko Haram has killed.” In 2014, the Islamic extremist group took control of parts of Nigeria, including the two largest cities in Adamawa state, where Ishaku works. Boko Haram militants have killed thousands of people and displaced millions of others in the region. The pastor said that in just one congregation, 37 members have been killed in Islamist attacks. Today, the notorious extremist group operates mostly in remote, undeveloped areas. But its members continue to launch murderous attacks, and the region remains especially perilous for pastors like Ishaku. “I cannot say that there is one thing I am most afraid of,” he said. “I know that even if they kill me, I will inherit the kingdom.” Although Ishaku has moved his family to an area where attacks are less frequent, he continues to minister to people fleeing Boko Haram attacks and often travels into dangerous areas.
| ||||
| ||||
|
Since Jesus calls Christians to make disciples of all nations, in this blog we'll consider how we might better share the gospel to the world around us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mission Yearbook: PDA director shows solidarity with Puerto Rican siblings
Image Presbyterian Disaster Assistance volunteers at work in Puerto Rico in 2018. (Photo courtesy of PDA) Speaking during a recent installme...
-
Betsy Shirley , the editor in chief of Sojourners , recently told the hosts of “A Matter of Faith: A Presby Podcast” that resilience in diff...
-
Image Photo by Sincerely Media via Unsplash The Rev. Dr. Jermaine McKinley, the co-chair of the Self-Development of People Ministry Team for...
-
For their sixth episode, podcast hosts reach out to a sage and seasoned pair of Presbyterian pastors July 1, 2024 Photo by Benarelexander vi...
No comments:
Post a Comment